The benefits of exercise for people living with diabetes can’t be overstated. Exercise can help lower blood pressure, manage weight, strengthen bones and muscles, and improve your overall well-being. In honor of National Diabetes Month, our chiropractor in Islandia at Spine & Sports Rehabilitation Pain Management would like to discuss the importance of exercise for diabetic patients. Continue reading below to learn more.
Importance Of Exercise For Diabetic Patients
When you are living with diabetes, physical activity is a crucial component of your treatment plan. Before beginning a new exercise program, it’s essential to consult with your doctor. If you take insulin, it’s essential to keep an eye on how you’re feeling and your carbohydrate intake. Our chiropractor in Islandia can make diet and exercise recommendations to help you get started on your wellness journey. Here are some of the benefits of exercise you can experience as a diabetic patient:
- Improved circulation – Exercise helps pump blood to all of your organs, including the brain, heart, and kidneys, which can all be affected by poor diabetes management.
- Raised heart rate – Whether you’re walking, cycling, or swimming, getting active gets your heart pumping, allowing your body to use insulin more efficiently.
- Reduced stress – Stress can make your diabetes more difficult to manage, so exercise can help reduce stress.
- Lowered blood sugar and A1c – Staying active when you’re living with diabetes can lower your blood sugar and reduce your A1c. Exercise can also improve fat and protein metabolism, which slows organ damage.
- Decreased risk of heart disease – Reducing bad cholesterol and blood pressure through regular training can help reduce your risk of developing heart disease.
It can be intimidating to start exercising without any guidance, but fortunately, our chiropractor in Islandia is here to help! We can also help you manage any pain or discomfort associated with your condition with chiropractic care.
A lot of effort is needed to manage your diabetes, but leading a healthy and active lifestyle can make things easier. At Spine & Sports Rehabilitation Pain Management, our chiropractor in Islandia is here to help you throughout your exercise journey to help you achieve your desired results and stay healthy. To learn more about exercise for diabetic patients, be sure to contact us today!